Saturday, October 13, 2018

Is the Battle between Knowledge and Innocence Black and White?

Often violent images spark controversy, parents don't want their children to see those pictures, teachers are reluctant to show them to students, older siblings hide them from younger siblings, all because we often see these children as innocent and naive creatures that need to be protected from this harsh,cruel world. However these children live in this world, and what we think is "protecting" can end up leaving the children defenseless when they eventually wander into the real world.

Earlier this year we read "The History Teacher" by Billy Collins. I was unsure of how I felt about the "protection" of the students' innocence. Now, after taking time to reflect on it, and after being introduced to different views on similar subjects, I can confidently say that the with-holding of real events is more harmful than beneficial. By no means should everything be told to these children regardless of how it may affect them, instead I believe, like Santog, that real events, real pictures should be shown when they promote knowledge and insight.

Knowledge is the banishment of innocence, in the minds of some. Yet to me, it is the banishment of ignorance. But because the line between innocence and ignorance is so fine, many people steer away from anything that may accidentally destroy one's innocence rather than ignorance. As a result, many people are left ignorant to the world, and are unable to handle reality when presented to them in the form of photos. In my opinion, the teacher from Collin's poem promoted ignorance in the students rather than innocence the same way that news channels and media promotes ignorance by refraining from showing certain photos that depict our reality.


3 comments:

  1. I really like how you connected The History Teacher to the prompt of the in class essay. And I have seen parents who cover the eyes of kids when they watch some television shows which contain violent images. These incidents always makes me wonder about how these kids are going to be knowledgeable about the world. And I completely agree with your argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how this post tied in to The History Teacher. I agree with everything you said in regards to holding information from children to protect their innocence. Withholding pure facts from kids hurts them instead of helping them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ankita, I like how you brought back The History Teacher by connecting it to the prompt of the in class essay. I agree with your ideas on keeping certain information from children to protect their innocence. I think some things should be saved until children are more mature, but if children are forever protected from realities they will never be knowledgeable about the world.

    ReplyDelete