![]() |
| High school girls learn the art of automobile mechanics. Left to right: Grace Hurd, Evelyn Harrison, and Corinna DiJiulian, with Grace Wagner (under car), at Central High, Wash. D.C. |
This picture was taken in 1927, during the modernist movement. This was a time period right after the first World War where social norms were challenged and redefined. Women were in work fields that had been traditionally male-dominated, and wanted to stay in those fields. When the men had left to fight in the war, the women had taken responsibility for the labor that needed to be done and the jobs that needed to be filled. As a result, after the war, women were still in these fields, still doing labor, and wanted to continue. World War I ended in 1918, and this picture shows four high school girls working on an automobile. When the war ended, the girls were likely about nine years old, not old enough to have been working in work fields during the war. They aren't the women that had been in male-dominated work fields and wanted to stay, they are women that wanted in on the jobs. They are interested to learn and are actively trying to seek an education in the field so that they can work as new employees in these fields.
Another thing aspect of this photo that I found intriguing was the title. The title clearly lists the names of every girl in the picture. Many photos we see of women in history are unnamed, unless the woman is famous. However, the names of the girls in this photo are not ones well-known through history, yet are specifically mentioned. This shows that the photographer willingly acknowledged the people in this photo as people in real training of the arts, showing us that the photograph was not staged, that it was legitimate.

Wow that's so cool! The caption alone tells a whole story and I like how you gave context and kind of put together the puzzle to find out how old the girls were when the war ended to show that they chose this work.
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog because it had some very interesting thoughts about women's role in the modernist movement. Thanks for the insight and keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteAnkita, I love your blog and I couldn’t agree more. I especially love your analysis on the title of the photo. I like how you awknowledged that the photographer included the girls names. I also like how you connected this back to women gaining higher importance. Your view on this photo was really nice and insightful.
ReplyDelete