Friday, May 3, 2019

The Price of Curiosity

World of wonder, world of magic
World that beckons us to seek
The never experimented before
First we fail, then we are "rewarded"
By the "lovely light," and "enchanted elfin sprite"
Problems solved, by miracles found
Preceded by some "mysterious emanations"
It's the cure, 
For anything and everything

It puts the world to sleep,
It stills everything, 
Its "luminous glow" becomes eternal
It freezes time, controls it
Spins it, and slows it
Till we no longer know, 
Whether we sleep in eternal peace or in agony

Stories to be told,
Of times lost long ago
Stories of glowing vials, of "liquid sunshine"
Stories of hope, littered with desperation
Stories that warn, stories that ward
Stories seen as fiction, and as myth
Stories not heeded, caveats ignored
Fascination floods, and blinds us all

All that the glow stilled
Awaits its turn,
Death is to come, 
Death is to steal,
The glow still rests 
On the faces and arms of six year-olds,
On the lips of women, caught with unfortunate jobs,
On Marie Curie's finger tips, no longer twitching with the anticipation of her discovery
Its "dreamlike beauty" is eternally frozen
Yet alive, waiting for its next host

Death waits at the door, 
With the glow by its side
Waiting for our next flounder,
Waiting for our new desperation,
For our new false hope,
And inevitable ruin

World of plunder, world of tragic
World that renders us weak, 
Profiting from our frailty
First we fail, then we are "rewarded"
By the "lovely light," and "enchanted elfin sprite"
Problems unsolved, by miracles underground
Preceded by some "mysterious emanations"
It's the lure, 
For anything and everything

Stories of glow,
Of times lost long ago
Stories of glowing vials, of "liquid sunshine"
Stories of desperation, littered with false hope
Stories that warn, stories that ward
Stories not heeded, caveats ignored
Fascination floods, and blinds us all
Fascination that we trust, 
More than the fables of the true
Fascination that we follow 
Simply for its hue

Beware of the glow, of the "lovely light" that beckons
Beware of our silent comrades, 
Silenced by their fascination
Beware in your travels to this world anew
Beware, and remember the things to heed


5 comments:

  1. Ankita, this was so lovely! I love how you used “A Measure of Restraint” and the anecdote about Marie Curie and turned it into a poem. I love how each stanza had a quote from the piece. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing job, Ankita! I love how you took inspiration from the short poem included in Raymo's piece and offered a wonderfully creative take on the dangers curiosity poses to society. The different techniques you used like repetition, personification, and metaphors really captured the tone of the piece and it was interesting to see how you integrated quotes from the essay as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ankita, I really loved reading this piece! It was so interesting how you used inspiration from what we read in class to create this beautiful poem. Thanks for the creative insight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the repetition and the integration of the quotes into the poem. I also really love your idea to write a poem which makes this a very unique and interesting blog post. I enjoyed reading every stanza. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love how you turned a short poem into this long, and super interesting one. I also love how you incorporated parts of the piece into your poem! Great job!

    ReplyDelete